Are you feeling overwhelmed with your job search? Do you not know where to start?
Pick one item from the list below and focus on that task to get you going. As you accomplish more tasks, you will be able to expand on these items. Sometimes the big goal of finding a job can overstress candidates and slow forward progress. Use smaller, manageable goals to get you moving. These items do not have to occur in a particular order.
Pick the item that best fits your needs or seems the easiest to check off from the list.
- Register for the UIAA Virtual Career Center, www.uiaacareers.org, to access tips and exercises on different areas of the job search and career transition including resumes, interviewing and networking.
- Subscribe to the monthly e-newsletter through your profile in the UIAA Virtual Career Center.
- Review your resume and cover letter and determine if they are well targeted to your field and highlight your experience and accomplishments.
- Post your resume to the Hire UI Alumni job board.
- Apply for 2-3 jobs this week.
- Review the calendar of upcoming Webinars and register for those of interest. Calendar listings are available in the UIAA Virtual Career Center.
- Watch one recorded Webinar from the Archive under the "About Us" tab in the UIAA Virtual Career Center.
- Start or expand your LinkedIn profile.
- Join the UIAA group on LinkedIn.
- Introduce yourself to 2-3 new people this week.
- Take 1-2 of those connects offline. Have real conversations with your network connections.
- If you use Facebook, "like" the UIAA Alumni Career Center Facebook page.
- If you use Twitter, follow UIAA_ACC.
- Join your local alumni club to meet other alumni.
- Join a professional association or networking group near you and register for their next local event.
- Read a career book. The UIAA Virtual Career Center has book recommendations under the different topics.
- Reconnect with a past colleague or network connection that you haven't talk to in a while.
- Identify a skill or knowledge area that is weak and develop a plan to strengthen
- Develop a list of 20-30 companies in your targeted industry and geographic region.
- Subscribe to the RSS feed from the UIAA ACC Blog.
- Help someone else make a connection. Introduce your connections to each other because a little good karma never hurts.
- Partner with a friend or another alumnus. Meet on a regular basis to share plans, progress and ideas.
- Talk to one person this week who is working in your chosen profession about their background and what it takes to be successful.