Featuring dynamic sessions presented by University of Illinois Extension Educators, the “Discover Wellness While at Home Series” will provide you with helpful information and strategies to assist you during these difficult times.
All sessions offered 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. CDT. Please make adjustments to participate in your correct time zone.
No cost to participate!
Date: April 2, 2020
Presenters: Cheri Burcham, Tessa Hobbs-Curley
We all know someone who is providing care for someone else. It is a rewarding experience for most, but caregivers experience many difficult emotions and losses along their journey. This workshop will focus on overcoming the challenges of caregiving and will examine caregiver stress and burnout – how to recognize them and how to prevent it with techniques for self-care.
- Identify challenges and burdens that accompany caregiving and the losses that can occur
- Examine the difficult emotions that all caregivers experience and techniques for working through those emotions
- Learn about caregiver stress and the techniques for self-care used to prevent and manage these conditions
Date: April 9, 2020
Presenters: Molly Hofer, Chelsey Byers
Simplify Your Life by Clearing the Clutter
Does the clutter in your house cause you stress? Do you have at least one room that is off limits to company? Is the clutter a cause for conflict with other family members? Do you want less clutter but you are too overwhelmed to begin? Many of us struggle to keep up with the clutter in our lives. If this sounds like you or someone you know, come and learn ways to organize your life in order to de-clutter and reduce stress.
- Identify personal reasons for clutter
- Understand how clutter can cause stress in your life and relationships
- Identify the benefits of dealing with clutter
- Learn strategies for clearing your clutter
- Develop an action plan to get started
Date: April 16, 2020
Presenters: Chelsey Byers, Molly Hofer
Who Gets Grandma’s Pie Plate?
Almost all individuals have valued personal belongings. Have you ever considered how to pass along your important possessions? This session features information about the importance of making a plan for passing along your personal possessions. Explore ways to talk to family members about the difficult subject of distributing family items with emotional and sentimental value while still keeping relationships intact.
- Understand how strong emotions and family relationships can contribute to challenges in transferring personal propert
- Learn how titled and non-titled property differ and the importance of planning for the transfer of both
- Identify factors to consider when transferring non-titled property
- Investigate distribution options and consequences
- Learn strategies to start inheritance planning conversations with potential receivers
- Learn to recognize and potentially head off potential sources of conflict
Date: April 23, 2020
Presenters: Karla Belzer, Cheri Burcham
Being Mindful During Difficult Times
During difficult or stressful times, our mental, emotional and physical health can suffer from the disconnect that can happen between ourselves and life. Mindfulness is the act of paying purposeful attention to the present moment. It offers us a way to enjoy our lives more and reduce stress through a few simple practices. This program will help participants explore benefits of mindfulness meditation and teach them techniques that reduce stress and increase life satisfaction.
- Be able to define mindfulness
- List the benefits of mindfulness meditation
- Practice two easy mindfulness techniques to increase life satisfaction
Date: April 30, 2020
Presenters: Karla Belzer, Cheri Burcham
Someday is Today – Live Your Bucket List
Are there things in your life that you’ve wanted to accomplish but haven’t? Are there personal goals that would bring you joy and fulfillment, but are always put on the back burner because “life happens?” Do you say things like, “I’ll get to that someday,” or “When things slow down I’d like to try that?” If you’ve answered “yes” to these questions, then you need to work on your bucket list. A bucket list is simply a list of things you’d like to do in your lifetime. The point of a bucket list is to help you live your life to the fullest. Come and learn how to create your own bucket list and set exciting goals to pursue your interests and fulfill your dreams.
- Understand the benefits of setting goals throughout life
- Investigate the difference between mini and maxi bucket list goals, the importance of the self-inventory, and various types of bucket lists
- Develop strategies for creating your own bucket lists or action plans and ways to reflect on those experiences
These sessions are FREE, but registration is required. Register online or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
CEU’s are availaibe for $8/per session from the Continuing Education Institute of Illinois. You must register for CEU’s at: geroed.com