Contact the UIAA
The UI Alumni Association has ultimate responsibility for the content of the following sites. These domain names are administered by the UI Alumni Association and constitute what is hereafter referred to as “the UI Alumni Association website(s)” or “its site(s)”:
- uiaa.org: Main entrance to UI Alumni Association corporate website
- illinoisalumni.org, uialumnialliance.org: Domains that act as campus entrances to the UI Alumni Association website
UI Alumni Association websites employ “Strictly Necessary” cookies, which are necessary for the website to function; “Performance” cookies, which allow the UI Alumni Association to count website visits, traffic sources, and similar metrics to measure and improve website performance and effectiveness; “Functional” cookies, which are not essential to website use but which enhance website performance and functionality; and “Targeting” cookies, which are used to deliver content tailored to your interests. You can find additional information about these types of cookies available in the “About Cookies” pop-up box accessible on UI Alumni Association websites.
Collection, Use & Sharing of Information
The UI Alumni Association occasionally collects personal information through various forms throughout its site, primarily from event registrations, membership applications, award nominations, volunteer opportunities and University of Illinois Alumni Network updates. The type of information collected can include, but is not limited to, name, address, phone number(s), email address(es), graduation year and college/school/department.
Information is used for the purpose of furthering the membership or fundraising operations of the UI Alumni Association or University of Illinois Foundation, respectively, and for furthering and fulfilling the educational and administrative needs of the colleges, units, and constituents of the University of Illinois. Therefore, any personal information is released for those purposes only.
The UI Alumni Association is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information. Information collected and on file with the UI Alumni Association is safeguarded in a number of ways. Information collected through forms for specific uses (e.g., award nominations) is used for those express purposes and in the promotion of those activities, events or programs. Your Personal Information may be processed by UIAA directors, employees and volunteers as may be necessary to carry out the purposes for processing the information and the activities of UI Alumni Association.
The UI Alumni Association may share personal information gathered from its sites with others outside the UI Alumni Association and/or the University, when:
- authorized by law,
- permitted under general UI Alumni Association and University of Illinois policies,
- authorized by an approved UI Alumni Association, University of Illinois or University of Illinois Foundation contract,
- it is clearly stated on the UI Alumni Association website(s) that such information will be shared and the user indicates consent by providing the information,
- consent is otherwise given, or
- authorized for good cause by the President and CEO of the UI Alumni Association.
Consistent with the above, the UI Alumni Association may share your personal information with UI Foundation and the UIUK Foundation, which may use the information to assist in raising funds to support the University and its programs. In addition, your personal information may be shared with the University, including each component university’s alumni association, which shares our commitment to treating personal information responsibly.
UIAA may share your personal information with third parties, such as: service providers to facilitate the full range of UIAA functions, vendor partners to connect you with other alumni and current students and other alumni and friends of the University through the UI Alumni Network Alumni Directory and to offer you products and services due to your affiliation with the University (e.g., alumni travel and financial product opportunities). We will take reasonable steps so that any personal information we collect is only used by those third parties for specific, lawful purposes.
Information collected on registration forms is used to allow entry to events or access to restricted areas of the UI Alumni Association website. Residence and business information available through the UI Alumni Network Alumni Directory is displayed for one individual at a time in order to discourage unauthorized and undesirable uses, and this information is available only to users who have registered on the main UI Alumni Network site. Through the use of the Edit Profile form, users have the opportunity to change their preferences regarding the information that they authorize to be displayed in the UI Alumni Directory.
The UI Alumni Association’s online forms for event registrations connect to an outside vendor’s event system called CVENT that collects necessary personal credit card information for payment. The UI Alumni Association’s online forms for membership applications connect to the University of Illinois Foundation’s system that collects necessary personal credit card information for payment. The UI Alumni Association selected these systems because they allow for the processing of event registrations and membership applications in a highly secure manner. Such information is handled by the systems, with underlying security by a leading company in Internet security and online payments. None of the credit card information collected through the online event registration or membership application systems is shared with any entity outside of the University, and that information is used only to process payment at the request of the users of these forms.
LEGAL NOTICES OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Rules for Individuals under 13 Years of Age
The UI Alumni Association is committed to complying fully with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act. Accordingly, if a user of the UI Alumni Association website(s) is under the age of 13, such user is not authorized to provide the UI Alumni Association with personally identifying information, and the UI Alumni Association will not use any such information in its database or other data collection activities once the UI Alumni Association becomes aware that the user is under the age of thirteen. The UI Alumni Association appreciates user cooperation with this federally mandated requirement.
Users under the age of 13 and their parents or guardians are cautioned that the collection of personal information online or by email volunteered by unauthorized children under the age of 13 will be treated the same as information given by an adult until the UI Alumni Association becomes aware that the user is under the age of 13, and such information may be subject to public access.
Rules for Public Forums
Bulletin boards, chat rooms and other such interactive areas of the UI Alumni Association website(s) are provided to give users an interesting and stimulating forum to express their opinions and share ideas and information. The UI Alumni Association cannot and does not monitor all of the material posted or transmitted by users and third-party information providers. To protect your safety, please use your best judgment when using these forums. We particularly discourage divulging personal phone numbers and addresses or other information that can be used to identify or locate you. If you make such disclosures either through postings on the bulletin boards, chat rooms and other interactive areas, or to third parties in any communication, you do so fully understanding the consequences of such disclosures and with a knowing consent that such information could be used to identify you. The UI Alumni Association reserves the right to delete, move or edit any communications at any time, for any reason or in its discretion, but has no obligation to review or remove any such content.
In the course of using the UI Alumni Association website(s), a user may choose to provide information to help the UI Alumni Association, the University of Illinois or the UI Foundation serve that user’s needs or conduct research. As a user of such surveys, you agree that aggregate data from surveys may be shared with external third parties.
Interactive areas, discussion boards, chat rooms, etc., are intended to encourage public debate. We expect people to differ—judgment and opinion are subjective—and we encourage freedom of speech and a marketplace of ideas. But by using these areas of the UI Alumni Association website(s), you are participating in a community that is intended for all our users. Therefore, we reserve the right to remove any content posted on our site at any time for any reason. Decisions as to whether content violates any Posting Rule will be made by the UI Alumni Association in its discretion after we have actual notice of such posting. Without limiting our right to remove content, we have attempted to provide guidelines to those posting content on our site. When using the UI Alumni Association website(s), do not post material that:
- contains vulgar, profane, abusive, racist or hateful language or expressions; epithets or slurs, text, photographs or illustrations in poor taste; inflammatory attacks of a personal, racial or religious nature.
- is defamatory, threatening, disparaging, grossly inflammatory, false, misleading, fraudulent, inaccurate, unfair, contains gross exaggeration or unsubstantiated claims, violates the privacy rights of any third party, is unreasonably harmful or offensive to any individual or community.
- violates any right of the UI Alumni Association, the University of Illinois or any third party.
- discriminates on the grounds of race, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation or disability, or refers to such matters in any manner prohibited by law.
- violates or inappropriately encourages the violation of any municipal, state, federal or international law, rule, regulation, or ordinance.
- unfairly interferes with any third party’s uninterrupted use of the UI Alumni Association websites(s).
- advertises, promotes or offers to trade any goods or services, except in areas specifically designated for such purpose.
- uploads copyrighted or other proprietary material of any kind on the UI Alumni Association website(s) without the express permission of the owner of that material.
- uploads or transmits viruses or other harmful, disruptive or destructive files.
- disrupts, interferes with, or otherwise harms or violates the security of uiaa.org, or any services, system resources, accounts, passwords, servers or networks connected to or accessible through uiaa.org or affiliated or linked sites.
- “flames” any individual or entity (e.g., sends repeated messages related to another user and/or makes derogatory or offensive comments about another individual), or repeats prior posting of the same message under multiple threads or subjects.
WARNING: a violation of the Posting Rules may be referred to law enforcement authorities.
As a viewer or user of the UI Alumni Association website, you expressly understand and agree that:
- On its site, the UI Alumni Association frequently presents links to third-party websites over which the UI Alumni Association has no control. These links are provided as a convenience and courtesy to the users of our site. The UI Alumni Association cannot be held responsible for the policies, practices, content or lack thereof associated with the linked third-party sites, nor does presentation of the links constitute any implied endorsement unless explicitly stated.
- In order to provide specific programs, events or support, the UI Alumni Association occasionally may partner with vendors, other organizations and University entities, or with specific entities with which the UI Alumni Association has a more direct relationship, such as University of Illinois Constituent Alumni Associations and Illinois (or Illini) Alumni Clubs. As part of these collaborative efforts, the UI Alumni Association may or may not have involvement with the Web content located at domains other than those listed as being administered by the UI Alumni Association.
- Complaints, concerns or questions relating to materials provided by third parties should be forwarded directly to the third party.
Disclaimer of Warranties
As a viewer or user of the UI Alumni Association website, you expressly understand and agree that:
- Your use of the UI Alumni Association website and related sites (“the sites”) is at your sole risk. These sites are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. The UI Alumni Association expressly disclaims all warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement.
- The UI Alumni Association makes no warranty that (i) the sites will meet your requirements; (ii) services will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free; (iii) the results that may be obtained from the use of these sites will be accurate or reliable; (iv) the quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you through these sites will meet your expectations; and (v) any errors in the software will be corrected.
- Any material downloaded or otherwise obtained through the use of the sites is done at your own discretion and risk, and you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download of any such material.
- No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained by you from the UI Alumni Association or through or from the sites shall create any warranty.
Limitation of Liability
You expressly understand and agree that the UI Alumni Association shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages, including but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses (even if the UI Alumni Association has been advised of the possibility of such damages) resulting from: (i) the use or the inability to use the sites; (ii) the cost of procurement of substitute goods and services resulting from any goods, data, information or services purchased or obtained or messages received or transactions entered into through or from the sites; (iii) unauthorized access to or alteration of your transmissions or data; (iv) statements or conduct of any third party on the sites; or (v) any other matter relating to the sites.
As a viewer or user of the UI Alumni Association website(s), you expressly understand and agree that the UI Alumni Association reserves the right to edit or reject for any reason all information submitted for publication in the UI Alumni Association website(s).
As a viewer or user of the UI Alumni Association website(s), you expressly understand and agree that:
- UI Alumni Association publications does not sponsor or endorse the content of any advertisement without express permission.
If you provide advertising for publication by the UI Alumni Association (“Advertiser”), you expressly understand and agree that:
- In consideration of publication in UI Alumni Association publications, and other good and valuable consideration, the Advertiser agrees to indemnify and defend the University of Illinois Alumni Association and the publisher of UI Alumni Association publications, including all media whether in print or electronic form (collectively referred to herein as “UI Alumni Association Publications”) and any of their agents against any and all liability, loss, or expense arising from any claims for libel, unfair competition, unfair trade practice, infringement of trade names or patents, violation of rights of privacy, or the infringement of copyrights and proprietary rights resulting from the publication of the Advertisers’ ads.
- UI Alumni Association publications will not be liable for failure to furnish advertising space or to publish any advertisement due to strikes, labor disputes, government action, act of God, war, fire, breakdown of equipment, or any other circumstances beyond the UI Alumni Association publications control.
- UI Alumni Association publications reserves the right to reject any copy, for any reason. Among other subjects, UI Alumni Association publications does not accept advertisements relating to tobacco, alcohol, gambling, political or religious matters. All contracts and orders are subject in all respects to UI Alumni Association publications’ rules and regulations as to content of advertising matter, makeup, and current demands upon advertising space.
- Advertisements may not suggest or imply University of Illinois or U Alumni Association endorsement without express permission.
Periodically, we will change our policy; any changes to that policy will be posted on this page.